2010-09-18

Esperanto anonymous

I belong to Esperanto Klubo de Norda Teksaso (North Texas Esperanto Club—Esperanto is phonetic, you see).

Here are the reasons on our website ( http://www.esperanto-tx.org/ ) why to learn the Esperanto language, which is kind of based on Latin, Greek, German, Hebrew & English and compatible with Russian & Chinese grammar:

"Kial? Why should Americans learn Esperanto

1.Esperanto can be learned in less time than other languages.
2.It doesn't replace anyone's native language. It serves as a common second language.
3.It is politically, culturally, and religiously unbiased.
4.It has been tested in over 100 countries for more than 100 years.
5.It gives people of all ages, including children and senior citizens, a positive learning experience with rapid progress
6.It will bring you new friends from all over the world.
7.It brings understanding and helps you to cross barriers of culture and country.
8.It helps you to understand your own native English better.
9.You can read the great literature of the world.
10.It is great fun."

It is inevitable that this language was invented.  If the Jewish eye doctor in Poland didn't invent it, heavily based on Latin roots, someone else would have.  The Pope uses it.  The Bahá’ís use it.  The Gospels and the Koran is translated into it.  A cult in Brazil uses it.  The Chinese call it "World Language."  So I'll use it too, for the glory of God.  Don't tell anyone I'm a pacifist, even though I'm a security guard & believe in capital punishment.  My dad killed a Japanese pilot at the outbreak of American participation in World War II at Pearl Harbor (or they at least think so, he and the others on the USS Vega, and were awarded for it), before becoming a missionary to China and Japan, and I'm proud of all of that, but I'm a man of peace.
 
By the way, I met my first "Esperantist" (someone who speaks Esperanto) in about 1989 or 1990 in China, a Chinese intellectual—but he didn't actually talk to me in it, but in English.  I knew what language he was referring to because I had tried to learn it by myself in high school ten years before that from the public library (one of my favorite parts of a library is the language section, just before the 500s in non-fiction) in about 1980, but never heard it spoken (with an American accent) until 2008 when I sought it out.

Ĝis!  (Later!)

2 Comments:

Anonymous mankso said...

For others like you who have never heared Esperanto spoken, try listening to one of the regular podcasts from Radio Polonia:
http://www.polskieradio.pl/eo/
or from Radio Vaticana:
http://www.radiovaticana.org/esp/on_demand.asp
And there is a 7-point modern rationale for Esperanto in the Prague Manifesto:
http://lingvo.org

September 18, 2010 at 11:32 AM

 
Blogger Lenĉjo said...

Another reason to learn Esperanto, besides it being almost as easy as basic Indonesian to learn, and much easier than Spanish, is that learning a foreign language is supposed to slow down the effects of old age or Alzheimer's--so I've heard.

January 1, 2013 at 7:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home